Emily Dickinson

Sunday, September 5, 2010 by B.H.
Remember when I told you, “I strangely sometimes fall for dead people.”? I was not kidding. And then my love is not like just a crush, it is as deep as an abyss – an abyss so deep that your eyes will give up, your brain will cease thinking. I love them with all my breaths as I carve everything – trait, habits and style about them in my soul and run my fingers on the carving until it gets imprinted, I might sound insane and yes, we all have the right to go insane sometimes. When I was 14, I read somewhere that ‘they’ lived an isolated life, that sentence –– I have still not forgotten. See, what I figured out the meaning of isolation.

Solitude

Such a little room ––– I keep
Where teenage musings and I sleep
The ink yet in my pen is aware
At night my heart descends the stair
Dove at my door put a mar
A lightening bug escaped from jar
Who flied and glowed and dreamed and died
So secretly, the neighbors think –– I hide
Within these walls and windowpane
Away from clichés like hurt and pain
I’ve sealed my doors from the world so cold
While everyone breathe –– and grow old
Within my fence lies copious solitude
Such a lonely life with blue ingratitude
And lies in my backyard – desires’ flags unfurled
In a ruined dingy cemetery state –– once my world
So long ––– after my earthly grave
A girl –– on bench by the secluded lake
Will spread each page beautifully swept
O such a little room ––she’ll say –– I kept
By B.H

Us, The News

***

What N.A. says about the poem “Why do I love” You, Sir? by Emily Dickinson:
“One of our regular contributors, Bahadur Hussain, contributed the following poem by Emily Dickinson. The poem is an example of typical Dickinsonian verse – fragmentary and yet conveying a world of emotions through its extreme pithiness…”


“Why do I love” You, Sir?
By Emily Dickinson

“Why do I love” You, Sir?
Because –
The wind does not require the Grass
To answer – Wherefore when He pass
She cannot keep Her place.

Because He knows – and
Do not You –
And We know not –
Enough for Us
The Wisdom it be so –
The Lightning – never asked an Eye
Wherefore it shut – when e was by –
Because He knows it cannot speak –
And reason not contained –
Of Talk –
There be – preferred by Daintier Folk –

Te Sunrise – Sire – compelleth Me –
Because He’s Sunrise – and I see –
Therefore – Then –
I love Thee –


http://thenews.com.pk/newsmag/mag/detail_article.asp?id=654&magId=9


***


“Mujhe ishq kyn hai” Tum se, Janaab?
Kyn ke –
Hawa ko nahi hai zaroorat Ghaas ki
Jawaban – ke Wo guzray jab
Wo qaa’im nahi reh sakti.

Kyn ke Wo janta hai – aur
Kya Tum nahi –
Aur Hum nahi jantay –
Yeh buhat hai Humaray liye
Yeh Danaa’i se mutta’lliq’at –
Bijli ki chamak ne – Aankh se nahi kaha
Par Wo band ho gai – jab Wo yehan thi –
Kyn ke Wo janto hai Yeh nahi bol sakti –
Aur koi wajoohat bhi nahi –
Baaton ki –
Behter logo ki tarjee’hat mein se – ik yeh bhi

Tu’loo-e-Sooraj – Meri zaat – mujhe majboor karti hai –
Kyn ke wo Tu’loo-e-Sooraj hai – aur Main dekhti hun –
Isi liye – phir –
Main Tum se Ishq karti hun –

Translated by B.H. “Why do I love” You, Sir?
***




***


(Ode) To Emily Dickinson
By Bahadur Hussain


Like the saturated raindrops kiss
Parched lands – withered lilies-
Shrivelled roses – sear ferns
And gentlemen smell the meek aroma
Of funeral of their – gaudy thirst
Like your words – spill over my heart-
Your quenching and immortal words
My ecstasies – my drugs –
There! Behind your nitid eyes-
Was – the myth of kingdom – of ample wit-
Whose – knight still kills – my dreadful thirsts.
What shall I call your words – the musings – the solitude-?
The shooting stars in twilight-
Or the bittersweet feeling – of crimson pain
Or the frown of a rose ringed-parakeet
Or the warm suns of frigid winters-
Or all the blossoms – from Amherst to Cashmere?
Only If I could – take your solitude afar-
And you could – take my dreads away-
We would have not emerged –
As poets – but lovers
Though, you knew naught of me – but-
I shall love you forever;
Because – wind needs no grass to blow- ma’am!

Published in Us, The News International
http://thenews.com.pk/newsmag/mag/detail_article.asp?id=673&magId=9

16 comments:

Maryam said...

Emily Dickinson is one of the finest poets to have graced this Earth... And you do a great commemoration <3

Tazeen said...

Oh my God. I'm afraid I have never read anything more beautiful than this!

Okay, on a more realistic note, I am so very glad that you aren't my classmate because then, I would have never been my English teacher's favourite studient, who, by the way, loved Emily Dickinson's poetry and advised me to read it, only that I was too lazy about, which I now (secretly) regret. :/

Anonymous said...

iLike <3

Ph_ said...

am confused what to comment =/ words have failed me here ...
Firstly many congratulations on the publish of your writings in THE NEWS :)

I like every word of this post ...
especially Emily's poem it is something great =)
* thumbs up* another great post !

B.H. said...

Tazeen! Can you see my wide grin? =D I feel honoured, really! =P And frankly, I wish I were your classmate, not because I would want to be your teacher's favorite student, but because I lack creative friends. My class friends are dumb, plain dumb! They don't get me, vice versa. And Emily Dickinson is good, you should read her. =P And hey! =) Thanks alot =D

@Maryam! It's more than just a commemoration ;) It's um... well, something else. =P And Thank you so much xD

B.H. said...

@Salman, Thank you so very much sir! =D

B.H. said...

@Princess! =) Thank you so much =) These poems are a bit old tho. And yep! She was great. xD

Anonymous said...

Sir? =S

Tazeen said...

Yes, I can see it. That's a big grin, really! :D

And seriously, I don't have creative classmates either :/ It was just me and my teacher and come to think of it, he liked Tess (from Tess of the d'Urbervilles) same way you like Miss Dickinson :P Shh. Now that's a secret! :D

And you're welcome, fat cat! :D

B.H. said...

@Salman! Sarcasm! =D *blinks* =P lol ijoke =D

@Tazeen! Tess of the d'Urbervilles, =P Tess and Taz! Hmm, That is cool =D And don't worry I shall keep your secret. ;) And I guess then you might have some idea about the pain one endures living in such place. It's painful in a very painful way, I tell you! =P

Anonymous said...

I thought i was Sarcastic. Baazi palat gayi. Koi baat nahi.

B.H. said...

Hahahahah =D Bus dekh lo =P

Tazeen said...

Hahahaha... Well, Taz cannot be compared with Tess for she is far more worthy :P Kidding :D Hahahah!

Oh yes. I have a very good idea about that. Hehehe! Painful :P

B.H. said...

Taz is indeed worthy, um just saying! =P

Anonymous said...

Okay firstly you have published most of the part of this post before. dint you? :s Secondly your ode/ehem ehem :P was incredibly beautiful. 3rdly, just a reminder that a touch of love makes everyone a poet but if you love a poet you can imagine the outcome--> B.h 's amazing poems laden with words that spin your head right round and our wows like real, genuine WOWs :D fourthly: I am losing my vocab just b/c of commenting on work of bloggers like urs. Thesaurus here I come!!!! ;)

B.H. said...

Okay firstly =P yes I did publish most of the part of this post before, but nobody read that then, so, I reposted =P. Secondly, I'm smiling at the way you praised my (ehem ehem) ode =P Shukriya a bunch! =P and thirdly, =| *wide grin* I have no words for that. =D and fourthly, you know you are already awesome and I guess, you are going to be more awesome! :D and um Thanks Xehra! xD

Post a Comment